Why Select Asphalt Paved Driveways ?
About Asphalt Paved Driveways, asphalt is a mixture of sand and stones with liquid asphalt cement. The different components are heated and mixed in exact proportions with the asphalt cement. The asphalt cement is usually liquefied at approximately 300 ° F. When you are installing driveways there is a decision to make whether to use concrete or asphalt.
What to use: Concrete or Asphalt Driveways?
Each option has its own advantages and downsides. The choice of driveway design should really be dependent on where you are living. It’s a specific type of driveway that will work better or last longer. That is due to your living conditions and exactly how active your driveway is. There is a sub-grade preparation that has to take place before the hot asphalt is poured onto the driveway. If the sub-grade or base is not properly prepared then the asphalt application will not yield the best results.
Advantages of Asphalt Driveways
There are numerous advantages to having asphalt driveways:
- The installation of asphalt driveways costs less than concrete driveways. The cost is around average $2-$5 per square foot of driveway while concrete goes from $3 to $10 per square foot.
- After you install the asphalt driveway, you can drive on it almost immediately.
- This type of driveway is easier to repair. If there are cracks and holes they can be filled easily and sealed.
- You can have your asphalt driveway for up to 20 years.
- It takes a small amount of time for an experienced and knowledgeable contractor to install an asphalt driveway.
Disadvantages of Asphalt Driveways
- The major disadvantage of asphalt driveways is that they react to temperature change easily. The surface will shrink and expand with temperature change.
- There is more maintenance that takes place when you have an asphalt driveway. In the long run you may end up spending a lot of money on yearly maintenance of the driveway.
- Gasoline will cause damage to the asphalt as compared to concrete. It can be easily washed off of.
Why Select Asphalt paved Driveways?
For your driveway design, an asphalt driveway can cost very effective and pretty pleasing choice. The clean, sharp black look is very inviting. Especially, if you live in the snowy areas. The black asphalt helps with melting the snow and ice faster since it stores the heat from the sun. When installing the asphalt driveway, you ensure that you select a reputable and fair pavement contractor. There are resources available to help with this selection. Quick search on the internet can tell you the factors to look for in a good pavement contractor. Another reason to select an asphalt driveway, is the possibility of being designed using porous asphalt. In this case the driveway would be designed with special mix asphalt. That will allow water to drain right through the pavement into a sub-grade reservoir.
What about maintenance?
Asphalt driveways are more suitable for snowy regions. They are more forgiving than the concrete driveways; when it comes to heaving from the freeze and thaw cycles. After an installation of asphalt paved driveways; maintenance is very important